Sunday, January 25, 2009

Pinewood Derby & Our 1st Science Project!

Pinewood Derby Time!

Well, it's been quite a week! We started it off with the weigh-in on Tuesday night for the Pinewood Derby. It was then that Rick and Jackson found out that their Red Barron Airplane (#63) was too big/wide to race. There were a few disappointed tears..followed by a lesson in being a good sport...attending the race to support "others", etc. Tough night!
Saturday came and we all went to the race. We arrived a little late because we knew we wouldn't be racing....but it was important to support our troop! As soon as we got there, the Scout Master said, "Hey, we've been waiting for you! We're going to showcase The Red Barron, solo on the track, in a special exhibition race!" Jackson was called up to the track for the exhibition and introduced to everyone. It was very cool!
All the scouts voted for their favorites......best paint job.....fastest looking.....and then.....most unique...Car #63...THE RED BARRON! Jackson was called to the track to receive a trophy! Congratulations to Jackson and Rick!

NEXT UP...Jackson's 1st Science Project

Have to admit, when they sent home the note that said that it was mandatory for 4th graders to complete a science project, I almost broke out in hives! I had flashbacks of being in 4th grade...overwhelmed...exhausted by the hours of research...scared to death of the stand-up presentation I had to give to Sister Bush, the meanest Nun at The Academy! Once I found out Sister Bush loved African Violets, I bribed her annually with them in hopes of getting a good grade on my science project! She seriously put the fear of God in me...how ironic that she was a Nun! Since Rick was helping with the Pinewood Derby, I took the Science Project.
At first, Jackson said he wanted to create an electric motor..."Yeah, this is mom helping you and I don't do electricity!". NEXT TOPIC PLEASE! Then we settled on "How does the distance from a light change the size of an object’s shadow?".

We had several tearful nights..."Why do I have to do this?"..."Are you sure I HAVE to do this?"..."I hate this!"...."Why do I have to do this again"...."My hand is numb from writing so much!"..."I'm soooo tired"..."Are you sure everyone in 4th grade HAS to do this?". I played the part of Mom, but have to admit that I totally remembered feeling the same way when I was his age.
Well, tonight we finished the masterpiece entitled, "Only The Shadow Knows!". And I must say, IT LOOKS AWESOME! Congratulations to Jackson...for finishing a very large project. He did an great job documenting all the steps of our experiment and helping to put the final last touches on our presentation! The Science Fair is this week--wish us luck!

And to Emma...she just couldn't understand why I kept taking pictures of Jackson all weekend! I managed to get a snapshot of her as she patiently watched Jackson this weekend!










1 comment:

Sherri said...

Great job on your science project!!
Jackson your Pinewood Derby "car" looks terrific. I can see why you won most unique.
Emma you look cute as always (didn't want to leave you out of the comments).
Rick, this comment is just for you...As your, Mom I usually try to shy away from saying "I told you so" but this time I just can't resist. I told you that a car with wings was going to be a problem at the derby!!! Told you so, told you so, told you so...there, now I feel better! Love you!