Monday, January 5, 2009

Kelly's Most Memorable Moments of 2008!!

I think everyone does some type of mental inventory on or around New Year's Eve/Day...Have to say, this was a pretty big year for me and my family!! So I thought I'd recap...Kelly's Most Memorable Moments of 2008!

1. Goodbye William Harris
To be honest, how could I not start my list without mentioning the passing of Rick's brother, Bill. Even though he passed away at the end of 2007, we were fairly consumed with celebrating Bill's life for the first few months of the year. Bill was so full of life! He seemed to find the goodness in every person he met...He made people feel special! He always had a huge smile on his face and he loved a good laugh! So about a week after Bill passed, I noticed that this wooden sign I have above my garage door that says "Enjoy The Journey" was crooked. It had never been crooked before, so I climbed up on a chair and straightened the sign. The next day, the sign was crooked again. So I climbed back on the chair and straighten the sign. This cat and mouse game continued for about a month until one day, I noticed the crooked sign and I thought, "Wait a minute!...I know I just straightened that damn sign!" And then it hit me...it was almost as if I heard Bill's famous laugh! So I said, "OK, funny guy! I got the message...ENJOY THE JOURNEY, right? From that day on, I have never touched the sign...and it remains crooked to this day!


2. Bubba "Gigantor" joins our clan!
How much is that doggy in the window? Arf! Arf! Let's just say, that doggy cost a LOT O' MONEY! Rick would call this my "spontaneous moment"...I think of it as my, "WHAT IN THE HELL WAS I THINKING MOMENT!" He weighs about 8 pounds now. He's extremely protective and he thinks he's the biggest dog on the block! He follows our other dog, Snickers everywhere she goes. Snickers helps keep him in line...she's the Ma Ma Dog! But seriously, he is very cute and cuddly and the kids absolutely love him. He's brought a lot of excitement to our house...like the claw marks on the leather couches...the chew marks on the baseboards (just found that this morning) and the orange crayon chunks in his poo (now we Ziploc up all the crayons)! Bubba's 1st birthday is January 9th...so Happy Birthday Bubba!


3. Here's to being an Aunt...TWICE!
Isabella Harris and Bennett Borgmeyer joined us this year! What a blessing these two are! They are both so beautiful! There is nothing better than being an Aunt. You get to do all the fun and crazy stuff with them and then plead ignorance to their Mom and Dad! You can discipline if you have to, but it's really all about letting things slide...letting them eat too much candy and ice cream, letting them stay up too late and just spoiling them rotten!


4. D Day
Tough one to write about...It's Diagnosis Day...or as I call it, "D Day". It's the day we received my mom's cancer diagnosis. It's the day that you never wish to relive in the doctor's office. It's the day we told Jackson. It's the day we bought mom's wig. It's the day Jack and I told my Dad. It's the day I actually stopped breathing and found out I could still survive! Today, that "D" also stands for Diminishing, Determination and Dignity! Love you Mom!

5. Here's to being 40, fabulous and in Atlantic City, NJ
These are the trips that don't happen too often. When you just say, "Who cares what it costs...We're all getting on a plane and going to Atlantic City, NJ! It's not everyday that Rick turns 40!! What better gift to give him than going home to NJ! There was nothing better than seeing Rick smile from ear to ear as he played in the ocean with Jackson! It was a short trip, but so great to be together as a family!



6. Goodbye to Angela, our Nanny, Ola Los Ninos Bilingual School and 4th Grade!
Just about the time that my mom was diagnosed with cancer, and I found out that Corporate Express was being bought...our Nanny, Angela gave notice! So we went into hyper-mode trying to find a school for Emma and before/after school care for Jackson. Mid August, we made our decision to send Emma to a very small, family-owned school called Los Ninos Bilingual Preschool. We went with our hearts on this one and just felt very strongly that Emma would flourish there! She loves going to school...and learning Spanish...and we couldn't be more proud of her! Jackson started 4th grade and he said the best thing about it was that he didn't have to ask to use the restroom anymore..guess you get a lot of freedom in 4th Grade! This year is all about growing two pant sizes in the first four months of school....riding the bus with his friends...NOT going to a baby daycare...and the mandatory science project that is due in about two weeks! Thankfully, it's also still about giving and getting hugs in public, holding my hand as we walk into the grocery store and him thinking that I'm still smart! So although goodbyes can be sad...our children are doing great!

7. Devon and Melissa's Wedding
Can I just say, Finally! Rick and I were both so excited for Devon and Melissa! Rick, Jackson and Emma all participated in the wedding. Rick was a Groomsman, Jackson was the Guest Book Attendant and Emma was a Flower girl. My mental highlights...Buying Jackson his first men's tie and Rick helping him tie it....Seeing the pride on Emma's face when I hugged her and told her she looked breathtaking right before she walked down the aisle...Isabella, in her bonnet, being strolled down the aisle in a white wagon by her brothers, Riley and Brandon.....Devon's face when Melissa walked down the aisle and Melissa dancing up a storm at the reception... What a great day!

8. Emma's Christmas Program
How could I not mention the Christmas Program? It was one of the highlights of my year...seriously! We always knew Emma had something special...and we all got to witness the magic of Emma the night of the program. I was so proud of my little Christmas Tree! I have always joked about how independent and head-strong Emma is...Watching her dance on stage...no fear...a giant grin from ear to ear...I was just so proud that she is who she is....she was comfortable in her own skin...and all at the age of 4! What more could a mom ask for? I'm truly blessed!


9. Jackson learning the secret of Santa
The word that comes to mind is "bittersweet". You know, you wish for your kids to grow up...stop using formula...get out of diapers...be able to do chores like cleaning out the dishwasher (that has truly been a blessing!)...and then WHAMO! You wish they were little again...when things were simple! For as much as he knows about the secrets of Santa, there were still glimpses of the little boy...like even after he knew about Santa and he asked me what we do on Christmas Eve to prepare and I said, "Well, we put out cookies and milk." And he looked at me with total shock and said, "You eat the cookies and milk?" And what did I learn? That there is a fine art of knowing how much to share and when to share it! Here's to growing up with your kids!

10. It's what I call...Unemployment
Wow, where do I begin. July 15th...Staples became the official owners of Corporate Express. September 11th (how appropriate), I was granted severance. November 24 was my last day in the office...December 1, my official first day of unemployment. I've learned a lot about myself...I've learned a lot about the integrity of others...and I've made some pretty incredible friendships through this that I know will last a lifetime. How amazing to be given a gift of severance at this time in my life. How many people get an opportunity to re-evaluate what they want to do with their lives...to balance the scales and take inventory of what is really important in life! There have been a lot of ups and downs through this thing...a lot of unknowns...but one thing that I just know in my heart...I'll be ok...I'll land on my feet and I'll make the choices on my terms!

What a year! For me both personally and professionally, it has been a year of growth and depth like no other!

Here's to 2009...Looking forward to enjoying the journey! (That was for you Bill Harris!)

1 comment:

Sherri said...

Great job! Terrific as always. thanks for sharing.