Wednesday, December 24, 2008

It's the Bewitching Hour!

So, if you're sitting around with little ones that can read...close the window until you're alone for this one.

So it's about 11:20 p.m. and everyone has now made it to bed. Rick went to bed as soon as we got home...still dealing with a messy stomach. It's my first year with Jackson knowing about Santa. I was so worried how to "initiate him" ...what secrets do I share...what things do I save for myself. Funny how, without even trying, it all came pretty naturally when we got down to it. He followed me around all wide-eyed...so excited to be included in "THE SECRET".

Tonight, to my dismay, my little boy grew up right in front of me as I shared "some" of my secrets...Come on folks..I couldn't share them all!

SHHHH: He knew to be quiet...but I shared the secret about how we don't really talk, we just air finger snap and point a lot and shake our head "yes" and "no" because at ANY MOMENT...little feet could come walking down the stairs and catch us! He looked at me and with all sincerity asked, "What if she catches us?" I said, "Well, we plop ourselves on the couches and act like we're sleeping!". He looked at me like I was a genius! (That doesn't happen too often anymore!)

THE MILK: He drank the milk...but I shared the secret that we always leave a little in the bottom of the glass because Santa has to drink a lot of milk during the night...and the likelihood of him being able to drink a whole glass is pretty slim!

THE COOKIES: He ate the cookies...but I shared the secret that we always leave one cookie with a big bite taken out of it...and we crumble up some crumbs because who eats cookies and doesn't leave a little crumb or two behind!

THE PRESENTS: He helped put out a few things...but I shared the secret of how we open the fire place doors and place a few presents strategically in the fireplace as if they fell out of Santa's sack! He said, "Oh, I get it...Hey, remember the year there was white powder all over the fireplace...how did you do that?" I said, "I don't know...I don't think I ever did that... maybe it was the real Santa." He looked with this look like, "THERE IS A SANTA".... and then said, "Real funny Mom!"

THE STOCKINGS: He stuffed her stocking...but I shared the secret of how we place things in the stocking so they are just peeping out over the top of the stocking...I explained "We want her to be able to see that she has treats as soon as she comes down the stairs!".

THE LETTER: I showed him where Emma left a letter for Santa by the fireplace. He picked it up and it was just a bunch of scribbles and letters, "A G H U F E E M". He laughed to himself quietly, like he got the joke. And without even sharing my next secret, I saw him crunched down over the coffee table writing her a letter from Santa! I think he's been waiting 10 years to be able to do that!
After all of this, I put my hand on his shoulder and said, "And that's how we do it!". He looked at me like, "Is that it?". I'm sure he was wondering where all his presents were..Like I was going to give him first dibs on viewing his presents before bed! Yeah, right!

He hugged me good night and whispered in my ear, "Merry Christmas Mom, Love you!" I watched him take double steps up the stairs and he was gone. My baby boy...my first born...the "light of my life". Thank God the lights were off, because I stood there and cried at the bottom of the stairs.

But I quickly wiped my tears..."FOCUS" I whispered to myself. I still have to put all the presents under the tree, wire up a Wii (that may take me all night) and wheel in two bikes before dawn. No time for tears...I have work to do!

Merry Christmas Everyone!

1 comment:

Sherri said...

You know if you decide to stay home and not go back to the working world you shoul consider adding writing to your resume along with your new painting hobby! You had me hanging on every word! J.K. Rowlings look out!Love you much!